I like hockey. No, that’s not true. I live for hockey. And when it’s the playoffs? I seriously plan my life around the games. It almost doesn’t even matter who’s playing. Unless it’s the Ducks, because I just cannot get behind them. AT ALL.
Anyway, because hockey is such a big part of my life, we’re doing these Hockey cupcakes for all the other fanatics out there. Make up a batch for your next viewing party!
Hockey Themed Cupcakes
To make these hockey themed cupcakes, you’ll need to following tools. These may be affiliate links.
- Large Star Tip
- Blue Gel Food Coloring
- Cupcake Pan (this is the one I usually use)
- A big KitchenAid Mixer makes this job easier. However, it’s totally doable with a smaller, handheld mixer that’s powerful.
These hockey inspired cupcakes will be the envy of every get together. Rich chocolate cake topped with a delicious buttercream that looks like ice.
15 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- Cupcake Recipe:
- 2 2/3 C flour
- 1 1/2 C cocoa
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 C granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 TBSP soft unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- 2 C whole milk
- Frosting Recipe:
- 4 C powdered sugar
- 1 C unsalted butter, soften
- 4 TBSP heavy whipping cream
- Blue gel food coloring
- Cupcake Directions:
- -Preheat oven at 350.
- -Line cupcake pan with paper cupcake liners.
- -Cream sugar with butter until light and creamy.
- -Add eggs....1 at a time.
- -Beat after each egg addition.
- -Add vanilla extract.
- -In a separate bowl....add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and
- cocoa .
- -Mix until thoroughly combined.
- -Begin adding the dry mixture in with the butter and sugar combination.
- -Alternate the dry ingredients with the milk.
- -Beat well until all combined.
- -Scoop the batter into the paper liners until each cup is 3/4 filled.
- -Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.
- -Cool for 10 minutes.
- -Remove from cupcake tin and allow to continue to cool.
- -Cream butter and powdered sugar in a mixing bowl until it is creamy.
- -If it doesn't cream add 1 TBSP of the whipping cream until it does.
- -If it is creamy test to see if the frosting can make and keep a stiff peak.
- -If the frosting doesn't do this then add 1/2 C powdered sugar.
- -Test to see if the frosting now makes and keeps a stiff peak.
- -If not add more powdered sugar. If it does....
- -Divide the frosting into two bowls. The first remains white.
- -In the second bowl add several drops of the blue gel food coloring.
- -Stir to make sure the blue color is thoroughly blended.
- -Scoop the white frosting into a pastry bag with a large star tip.
- -Scoop the blue frosting into the same pastry bag.
- -Twist the open end of the pastry bag to push the frosting out.
- -Frost the cupcakes, using a swirl motion.
- Add the decoration of your choice to the frosted cupcake.
Voila! You have made some pretty fantastic NHL hockey themed cupcakes that are ideal for your next hockey gathering.