I like hockey. No, that’s not true. I live for hockey. And when it’s the playoffs? I seriously plan my life around the games. It almost doesn’t even matter who’s playing. Unless it’s the Ducks, because I just cannot get behind them. AT ALL.
I’ve mentioned my love for hockey several times. Like when I was thrilled the LA Kings won their first Stanley Cup. Or this behind the scenes tour of the Xcel Center in St Paul. I mean, my hockey obsession is even in my bio. I’ve got it bad, and the only cure is more hockey – and these cupcakes.
Anyway, because hockey is such a big part of my life, we’re doing these Hockey cupcakes for all the other fanatics out there. Make up a batch for your next viewing party! These NHL themed cupcakes are also great for a kid’s birthday, an end of the season celebration, or even the youth league banquet.
Hockey Themed Cupcakes
To make these hockey themed cupcakes, you’ll need to following tools. These may be affiliate links.
- Large Star Tip – You want that fancy frosting swirl, right?
- Blue Gel Food Coloring – This helps with the illusion of ice.
- Cupcake Pan (this is the one I usually use)
- A big KitchenAid Mixer makes this job easier. However, it’s totally doable with a smaller, handheld mixer that’s powerful.
- Cupcake Recipe:
- 2 2/3 C flour
- 1 1/2 C cocoa
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 C granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 TBSP soft unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- 2 C whole milk
- Frosting Recipe:
- 4 C powdered sugar
- 1 C unsalted butter, soften
- 4 TBSP heavy whipping cream
- Blue gel food coloring
- Cupcake Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350.
- -Line cupcake pan with parchment cupcake liners.
- Cream sugar with butter until light and creamy.
- Add eggs one at a time. Beat after each egg addition.
- Add vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cocoa and mix until combined.
- Start adding the dry mixture to the butter and sugar. Alternate adding the dry ingredients with adding the milk.
- Beat well until all combined.
- Fill each lined cupcake pan cup 3/4 full..
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove from cupcake tin and cool thoroughly on wire racks.
Buttercream Frosting Directions
- Cream butter and powdered sugar in a mixing bowl until it starts to get fluffy.
- If it doesn't cream add 1 TBSP of the whipping cream until it does.
- Once it's creamy, test to see if the frosting can hold a stiff peak.
- If the frosting doesn't do this then add 1/2 C powdered sugar. Test to see if the frosting now holds a stiff peak. If not add more powdered sugar. If it does.
- Divide the frosting into two bowls. The first remains white.
- In the second bowl add a couple drops of the blue gel food coloring.
- -Stir to make sure the blue color is thoroughly blended, and a nice light blue shade. We're going for something like a sky blue. If it needs to be darker, add another drop of food coloring.
- Add the white frosting into a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip.
- Add the blue frosting into the same pastry bag.
- Twist the open end of the pastry bag to push the frosting toward the tip, and frost the cupcakes, using a swirl motion.
- Add the decoration of your choice to the frosted cupcake.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 470 Total Fat: 15g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 77mg Sodium: 207mg Carbohydrates: 79g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 60g Protein: 6g
Voila! You have made some pretty fantastic NHL hockey themed cupcakes that are ideal for your next hockey gathering. Don’t forget to save this recipe for later by pinning, or sharing on social media.