There’s two types of people in this world – DIYers and those that say “Let’s call someone.” One thing is certain, though. Even DIYers know when to call in a professional, and electric is one of those places.
If there is something faulty with your electrical system, it’s not something you want to toy around with.
Trying to solve home electrical problems on your own can be dangerous. In fact, according to the U.S. Consumers Products Safety Commission, over 200 people die each year due to home electrical incidents.
Sure you can do things like replace a light switch or a light fixture on your own. You should never attempt to deal with electrical issues on your own, though, and you should call for help immediately, as minor problems can quickly turn into huge issues.
But how do you know when you’ve got an electrical problem on your hands?
5 signs you need to call an emergency electrician
1. You Lose Power
Chances are, you’ve lost power in your home at some point. This could have been due to a storm or some other major disaster.
In these cases, calling an electrician isn’t necessary. It’s the utility company’s responsibility to reconnect the power. However, sometimes a power outage does require an electrician.
If your power goes out, you should call the power company and find out if they have an outage in your area. If they don’t, and your neighbors still have power, you can be pretty sure the outage is your house. That means it’s time to call an electrician, like the ones you can find on the Quick Connect Website.
2. Lights are Flickering or Getting too Hot
If your light fixtures are getting too hot, that can be a cause for concern. Your lighting may not be properly insulated or you might have an older light fixture that isn’t up to par.
In addition to lights that are too hot, lights that are flickering can also be a sign of an issue. Usually, a flickering light simply means the bulb needs to be replaced.If changing the bulb doesn’t solve the problem, it’s likely that there’s a problem with your wiring and that an electrician is needed.
3. Burning Smell
Once upon a time, my house had a wall fire. It happened to be on the wall with the TV, and I noticed that the tv picture was really shaky. I went over to check it out, and turned the TV off. The outlet was controlled by a wall switch, so I turned that off, too, and sparks flew out. WHOA!
It was then that I noticed a burning smell. And a scorch mark on the wall by the outlet.
Usually, the burnt smell will smell like burnt plastic, and it’s coming from damaged wires in the wall that could quickly cause a fire. If it’s safe to shut off the power in your home, do so, as this will help keep the area safe until an electrician can show up.
4. Circuit Breaker Repeatedly Tripping
A circuit breaker tripping every now and again isn’t a big deal. Who knew you couldn’t run the microwave and a hair dryer at the same time in an old house?
But if you feel like running downstairs to flip the circuit switches has become your new workout, you likely have a bigger problem on your hands. You’ll probably want this problem to be looked at by a professional electrician. It may be as simple as adding another circuit to your electric panel.
5. You Experience a Small Electrical Shock
When plugging in an appliance or flicking on a switch, have you ever experienced a small electrical shock?
If the answer is yes, then it’s time to call an electrician. The shock is often caused by frayed wiring, which causes the circuit to short out. If you experience this, never attempt to remedy the problem on your own. This is a home repair that’s best left to the professionals.
While I’m all for DIYing your own home repairs, you need to know where to draw the line. Electricity is one of those hard lines for me. It’s always best to call an electrician when dealing with this type of issues.