I was always convinced that I couldn’t make Beef and Broccoli at home. Until I learned about slow cooker beef and broccoli that is!
Beef and broccoli is one of my favorite Chinese food dishes. I almost always order that when we get takeout. It’s satisfying, and you feel like it’s a healthier option. Because vegetables! But I had no idea how easy it really was to make at home.
Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli Recipe
One of the best parts of this recipe is how easy it truly is. You just set it and forget it. We’re even using frozen broccoli. It seriously can’t get better than that. As long as you remember to turn on the crockpot, you’re pretty much good to go. There’s a little bit to do 20 or so minutes before you serve it up, but even that’s easy.
- 1½ lbs. beef stew meat, cut into chunks 1½ c. beef stock
- 3-4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ½ c. gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 T. honey
- 2 T. toasted sesame oil
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 T. arrowroot
- 1 14-oz. bag frozen broccoli florets
- 1 red bell pepper, cut in short, thin strips
- 3 c. brown rice, cooked
- 1 T. toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- Add beef stew chunks to 5 or 6-quart slow cooker crock.
- In a medium glass or other non-reactive bowl, whisk beef stock, garlic, soy sauce, honey, and sesame oil to combine. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Pour mixture on top of beef. Cover and cook for 3-4 hours on high or 6-7 hours on low.
- To create a thicker sauce, create a slurry by combing 2 tablespoons of arrowroot with ¼ cup of liquid from the slow cooker. Set aside. You can do this when you add the veggies.
- 15-20 minutes before done cooking, remove lid and stir in the arrowroot slurry, then the frozen broccoli and red bell pepper. Cover and finish cooking. This will give you tender veggies that still have some crispness. If you like your veggies softer, add them about 30-45 minutes before the crockpot beef and broccoli is done. This is also a good time to start cooking your rice.
- Serve immediately with cooked brown rice and a drizzle of sauce from the slow cooker. Garnish with some toasted sesame seeds before serving, if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 439Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 112mgSodium: 1490mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 5gSugar: 5gProtein: 44g
See how easy that is? You could have the kids start it when they get home from school, or run home at lunch to get your crockpot broccoli beef going.