My parents always encouraged me to try different foods. If I didn’t like it, I didn’t have to eat it, but they were all for food experimentation. That is one of the things that I am grateful for. Because of this, I have eclectic food tastes. Pesto, and feta cheese, have been among my favorites, ever since I can remember.
This pesto is made from broccoli and feta cheese, rather than the traditional basil and Parmesan. Broccoli and feta pesto pasta is a great way to sneak some veggies into your meals, too.
Broccoli and Feta Pesto Pasta
A modern twist on the traditional pesto, this one uses feta and broccoli rather than basil and Parmesan. It's a great way to sneak some veggies into a meal, too.
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 lb. homemade linguini
- 1/2 cup chopped flat parsley
- 2 lemons, freshly juiced
- 3/4 cup feta cheese
- 2 lb. of fresh broccoli
- 2 tablespoons of room temperature water
- Salt and pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Two shallots chopped, or 1 small yellow
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Fresh basil and parmesan cheese, optional
- Start by sautéing the broccoli in olive oil. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Then begin heating approximately a tablespoon of olive oil in a large sauté pan. Add the onion and garlic until they begin to soften, and then add the broccoli.
- Cook for several minutes until the onion turns a bit translucent. Add your parsley and cook until it’s well wilted. This will give the parsley an extra kick of flavor!
- Pour in the lemon juice and chicken stock and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Cook your pasta while waiting.
- Transfer the remaining ingredients from the pan to your blender and add the feta cheese and water.
- Set your blender on puree and turn until smooth, adding a drizzle of olive oil as it blends. You may add water if it sticks and turns lumpy.
- Once the puree has been blended, add to your homemade linguini and add grated parmesan and fresh basil leaves for an extra shot of flavor!