This Cast Iron Lasagna with Kale is pure comfort food! This easy to assemble dinner classic is perfect for those busy weeknights and is sure to become one of your family favorites!
Update: This dinner recipe was originally posted in 2015 and has been updated in 2021 to improve reader experience.
Many families love lasagna. It’s one of the things that’s fairly easy to make, it can just be time consuming. But if the kids will eat it without complaining, then it stays in the dinner rotation.
You can make traditional lasagna in an afternoon while you’re hanging around the house catching up on laundry or watching football. Sometimes though, I don’t always have that extra time needed to make a traditional lasagna. Between boiling the noodles, browning the meat and then layering it up, it needs time and all of my attention.
This Rustic Kale Cast Iron Lasagna takes some of the steps out of all that work. The noodles cook in the skillet. The meat can be cooked in the same skillet prior to layering the lasagna. How nice would it be to have a delicious dinner with only one dirty dish to clean up afterwards (not counting your dinner plates, of course!)?!
How To Make Rustic Kale Cast Iron Lasagna Recipe
Links may be commissioned.
- 1 Jar of pasta sauce
- 1 Box of lasagna noodles
- 1 Cup chopped kale
- 1 Cup chopped tri colored peppers
- 1 Can diced tomatoes
- 1 Pound of 80/20 ground beef
- 1 Cup of shredded Mozzarella
- 1 Cup of Ricotta
- 2 Tbsp of fresh basil for garnish
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees
- Cook your ground beef in a separate pan until a medium temp. Set to the side. Season with salt and pepper
- On the bottom of your cast iron pan, add 1/4 jar of the pasta sauce and spread evenly to cover the whole pan.
- Add 1/4 cup of diced tomatoes and sprinkle over the pasta sauce.
- Break your noodles in to thirds and lay them on top of the sauce to cover the whole area.
- Roughly chop your kale and sprinkle over the pasta noodles.
- Chop your tri colored peppers, removing all seeds, and sprinkle on top of the kale.
- Add 1/4 cup of the diced tomatoes and sprinkle all over the peppers.
- Add the ground beef and spread evenly across the pan.
- Drop your Ricotta cheese by spoonfuls on top of the beef.
- Add another layer of lasagna noodles, covering all of the Ricotta.
- Using the remaining diced tomatoes, cover the lasagna noodles.
- Pour pasta sauce all over the top.
- Cover the sauce with shredded mozzarella so you only see the cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 40 min at 350 degrees.
- Let sit for 15 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with thinly sliced fresh Basil
Substitutions and Variations:
It’s so easy to change this recipe up and make it your own using what you have already in the house!
- Make it Meatless by leaving out the ground beef and subbing in more of your favorite veggies. Spinach, mushrooms, and zucchini would all be delicious additions.
- Make it Even Cheesier by adding in more mozzarella or Parmesan cheese. You can also sub the ricotta for cottage cheese, or use a mix of both.
- Make It Spicy by adding in red pepper flakes.
Storing Cast Iron Lasagna Leftovers:
If you have leftovers from dinner, store them in a covered container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
More Easy Weeknight Dinners:
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1932Total Fat: 152gCarbohydrates: 27gProtein: 108g
Are you going to try this Rustic Kale Cast Iron Lasagna Recipe?