Fall is right around the corner. Can you feel it yet? The days have already started getting shorter, and all the different varieties of apples are starting to appear in stores. One of the things that I’ve always viewed as one of the rites of Fall is caramel apples.
We’re not taking about your plain ol’ caramel apple, though. Nope. These Chocolate Dipped Spiced Caramel Apples are sure to be a major hit at any event you bring them to. They make a great gift, too.
There are a few things that will make making these Chocolate Dipped Spiced Caramel Apples easier. One is a double boiler. This one is great quality, and will last for a really long time. This double boiler is also good quality, and really budget friendly. We like Ghirardelli white chocolate wafers for dipping. You’ll also need a candy thermometer. I have this one, and love it. It’s accurate and easy to use.
The Best Chocolate Dipped Spiced Caramel Apples
- 8 Pink Lady apples
- 1 C butter (2 sticks)
- 2 C packed brown sugar
- 1 C light corn syrup
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 bag of chopped pecans
- 1 12 oz bag of Ghirardelli White Chocolate wafers
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a double boiler, pour water into the bottom half just slightly below where the top pot sits in the bottom half. Bring water to a boil.
- Add the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and sweetened condensed milk to the top of the double boiler, bringing the heat to a med-high. Bring to a boil, constantly stirring, then reduce heat to med. Cook for 25-30 minutes or until a candy thermometer reads 248 degrees. No candy thermometer? It’s ready when a teaspoon of the caramel is dropped into a glass of cold water and forms a firm ball.
- When this happens, remove the pot from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Dip each apple into caramel, coating the apple and part of the wooden stick.
- Allow the apples to completely firm up on the parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Ghiradarelli White Chocolate Wafers:
- Pour the bag of white chocolate wafers into a microwave safe bowl. Microwave them in 30-60 second increments, stirring between times. Chocolate can burn quickly, and then it’s ruined. It will probably take between 3-5 minutes for the wafers to melt completely.
- Take the caramel apple and dip it into the white chocolate going up ONLY ¾ of the way
- Quickly sprinkle allspice and cinnamon on the white chocolate
- Allow to completely cool and set up.
To remove the wax coating from store bought apples, you can dip them in boiling water mixed with a splash of vinegar for a few seconds. Remove and dry. Allow to cool.
Will you be making these Chocolate Dipped Spiced Caramel Apples?
Love apples? Then you’re so not going to want to miss these awesome apple-y goodness posts from a few of my favorite bloggers:
- Easy Paleo Apple Butter Recipe from Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Skillet Apple Pie Roll Recipe from A Mom’s Take
- DIY Wooden Apples Craft from Mom Does it All
- Caramel Apple French Toast Strata from My So Called Balanced Life
- Fall Chopped Salad from 2boys+1girl=OneCrazyMom
- Caramel Apple Shortbread Parfaits from Simply Southern Mom
- Homemade Apple Cider from This Mama Loves
- Skillet Apple Crisp from Better in Bulk
- DIY Apple Earrings from Cait’s Beauty
- Crazy Easy Salted Caramel Apple Dip Recipe from Pretty Opinionated
- Apple Stamp Craft from Mom on the Side
- Homemade Crepes with Apple Butter from Our Family World
- Apple Monkey Bread Muffins from Upstate Ramblings
- How to Host a Caramel Apple Bar from MommaDJane
- DIY Glittered Sneakers from Style on Main
- Apples and Avocados from The Guavalicious Life
- Apple Pie Ice Cream from Home and Garden Cafe
- Morning Glory Muffins from Day by Day in Our World