As anyone who has spent any time in the Southern US can tell you, sweet tea is a way of life. When you go in somewhere and ask for tea, you get a sweet, sugary concoction. It’s definitely not the traditional iced tea this SoCal native is used to! There’s just something about Southern sweet tea that is unique. There’s the just right mix of sugar to tea, and it’s not gritty or grainy.
How do they make it? For the longest time, I was told it was a secret. The perfect southern sweet tea isn’t difficult to make, though. Once you know the secret, that is. I’m going to share the secrets to Southern sweet tea with you. Shhh…
How to Make Perfect Southern Sweet Tea
Sweet tea is a tradition in the south. Learn how to make the perfect southern sweet tea to serve at your next gathering.
5 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 3 C of water in pot
- 2 Family size Tea Bags - Many people prefer Luzianne tea, while others prefer Lipton.
- 1 C sugar
- 7 C of water in a pitcher
- Lemons (optional)
- Bring the 3 C of water to a boil
- Add the 2 family size tea bags
- Lower the 3 C of water with 2 tea bags to a simmer for 20 minutes
- Remove tea bags
- While the tea is still hot, add the 1 C of sugar
- Stir to mix the sugar into the hot tea mixture
- Grab your pitcher with the 7 C of water and pour your tea and sugar mixture.
- Blend mixture well
- Add sliced lemons if you prefer.
- Serve over ice
You may want to get a gorgeous pitcher to serve your Southern sweet tea from. And if you’re having a lot of people over, you might even want a countertop ice maker.
For more July 4th & Patriotic ideas, check out a few posts from my favorite bloggers:
- Patriotic Mini Berry Tarts by Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Patriotic DIY Candy Dish by A Mom’s Take
- How to Host a 4th of July Parade by Mom on the Side
- Patriotic Pudding Cups by Better in Bulk
- Patriotic String Art Craft by This Mama Loves
- DIY Beaded Flag Charm Craft for Kids by Cait’s Beauty Blog
- Patriotic Red, White and Blue Mason Jar Planters by Home and Garden Cafe
- Cherry Vanilla Cupcakes by Our Family World
- Crockpot Bean Mix by Day by Day in Our World
- Treats for your 4th of July Cookout by Momma D Jane
- Patriotic Wine Glass Charms by Style on Main
- Greek Pasta Salad, a simple summer side by About a Mom
- Beet and Blueberry Salad by Upstate Ramblings
- Patriotic Ice Cream Sandwiches by Mom Does it All