Cherries and limes go together like peanut butter and jelly. Yeah? Maybe? Okay, I admit it – cherry limeade isn’t usually the first thing you think of when someone says cherry or lime. However, the two flavors are dynamite together. The lime freshens the cherry and gives it a little zip, while the cherry sweetens the lime flavor. Together, they’re like ka-POW!!
These cherry limeade cupcakes are no exception. If you’ve ever had a Sonic Cherry Limeade, you’ll love this cherry limeade cupcake recipe. Making them from scratch isn’t difficult, either. A decently stocked kitchen will have most ingredients necessary.
Cherry Limeade Cupcake Recipe
This cherry limeade cupcake recipe is sure to delight! The sweetness of cherries mingling with the tart lime goes together so well. Perfect for Spring and Summer - or any time!
15 minPrep Time
18 minCook Time
33 minTotal Time
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 C sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 C buttermilk
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift all-purpose flour into a mixing bowl.
- Add baking powder, baking soda and salt to the flour and whisk place to the side.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer using a paddle, whip together butter, sugar until pale and fluffy
- Mix in egg, then the egg whites one at a time, add in the vanilla with 2nd egg white.
- In the liquid measuring cup add buttermilk,and lime juice whisk together
- Begin to mix all ingredients together by adding 1/3 of the flour mixture alternating with 1/2 of the buttermilk mixture and mixing just until combined after each addition.
- Fill 12 paper lined muffin cups only to 3/4 full. You may get more than 12 cupcakes from a batch.
- Bake in preheated oven until toothpick inserted the center cupcake comes out clean, about 18 - 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before frosting.
Cherry Buttercream Frosting Recipe
- 3/4 C butter unsalted
- 5 C powdered sugar
- Few drops red food coloring (optional)
- 3 Tbsp maraschino cherry juice
- 12 maraschino cherries, lime slices
Chill the bowl of an electric stand mixer. Using the paddle attachment, whip butter until pale and fluffy.
Add in 1/4 cup powdered sugar, maraschino cherry juice and red food coloring.
Set on low speed, add remaining cups powdered sugar.
Increase mixer to medium and whip until light and fluffy.
Frost cooled cupcakes using a pastry bag and a large star tip, then decorate with a maraschino cherry and lime slice.
Voila! Your Cherry Limeade cupcakes are ready, and they look and taste amazing. Your friends will be in awe over the fact that you baked them from scratch, and decorated them. This Cherry Limeade cupcake recipe is perfect for Spring and Summer. Or really, any time you want some summer in your life.