How to Care for Pearls

Don't be shellfish...facebook How to Care for Pearls2google How to Care for Pearls1pinterest How to Care for Pearls0reddit How to Care for Pearls0stumbleupon How to Care for Pearls0twitter How to Care for Pearls1tumblr How to Care for Pearlsemail How to Care for Pearlsprint How to Care for Pearls

How to care for pearls was inspired by a beautiful pair of pearl earrings received for editorial purposes.  All opinions are my own.

how to care for pearl jewelry How to Care for Pearls

When you ask people about precious jewels, they usually mention diamonds, pearls, and rubies.  While diamonds and rubies are pretty hard stones, pearls are soft and easily damaged.  They don’t have to be, damaged, though.  With a few simple tips and tricks, caring for your pearls can be quick and easy.

How to Care for Pearls

Be Careful.  While this should go without saying, a little carefulness will do wonders.

Put your Pearls On Last.  Plan on wearing your pearls today?  They should be the last item you put on.  Due to their porous nature, they absorb perfume, hairspray, makeup, and body oils.

Wipe Your Pearls Down.  After you wear your pearls, be sure to wipe them down with a clean, soft cloth.  This will help to remove any of the day’s debris from your pearls.  A microfiber cloth is a fabulous cloth for this.

Cleaning Pearls.  You should always use a mild soap to wash your pearls.  Baby shampoo or Ivory soap are both great choices.  You never want to soak your pearls, as that can cause them, and the silk cord they’re on, to break down.

Have Them Restrung.  Do you wear your strung pearls often?  Consider having them professionally restrung once a year.

tahitian pearl earrings 2 575 x 433 How to Care for Pearls

Pearl Don’ts

Never use an ultrasonic cleanser.  This will damage the pearls.

Don’t use abrasive cloths or cleansers.  Pearls can become scratched from these types of cleansers.

When wearing a pearl ring or bracelet, remove it before applying hand lotions and creams.

It seems like a lot of info, but once you get in the habit, learning how to care for pearls becomes second nature.

tahitian pearl earrings 3 575 x 432 How to Care for Pearls

Pearls are one of the classic jewels that every woman should have.  With a little bit of care, they’ll last you for a really long time.    In years past, pearl jewelry has been very classic and timeless.  While that’s all nice and good, sometimes you just want something a little more fun!  These Tahitian Pearl earrings fill the bill beautifully.

The large, natural Tahitian pearls are the focus of these beautiful drop earrings.  When I say large, I mean LARGE!  The pearls measure in at a hefty 11mm in size, which is like half an inch in size.  The elongated sterling earwires are a totally modern twist on the traditional dangle earring.   Clocking in at a little over 2 ½ inches, the earrings are showy, but still modest.  Love these earrings?  You can get a pair of your own at Pearl Paradise.

Comments

1. librarypat says

Thanks so much for the information. I knew some of the tips, but not all of them. I will be more careful with them now and probably wear them more. (Patricia on Rafflecopter)

2. Jesselyn Andersyn says

Thank you for the very thoughtful and informative post. Of all my jewelry – pearls are the ones that terrify me the most when it comes to care and cleaning – and all of your help tips sound spot on (and an easy routine to get into.)

But one thing that really jumped out at me was suggestion to restring once a year – wow I never thought of that! Where do you go to have that done – and for yo do this with all pearl necklaces? My Swedish grandmother cam from a long line of jewelers – and started working in her father fine jewelry when she was about 5 years (instead of school as they had to save up so her BROTHER could go Med School…

She was one of the few left in her generation who REALLY knew how to string/restring with the very time consuming proper knotting between each pearl. In her final years she supports herself doing this fine, old-world work as jewelers from miles and miles away brought her pearls that need to be restrung, repaired, woven or even redesigned – such a grand and dying art!

But anyway, where do you find an affordable person to restring – and roughly how much does it cost (say for a basic single strand 18″ necklace. Thanks again Greta – and for the very generous giveaway, too!

3. Jean says

I do have some pearls, but I’ve always been a little scared of them, mostly because I didn’t know how to care for them. I especially like the tip about using baby shampoo to clean them. I’ve never heard that before.

4. Mer says

Some great tips, especially the one about baby shampoo. Now I’ll definitely be keeping my pearls looking their best.

5. Julie Wood says

I have some pearls, but I never thought about the proper care of these precious items until I read this blog post. I need to make sure to not get hand lotions on it, and to not use harsh chemicals when cleaning. Great tips.

6. Kristina L says

My grandma passes down a pearl necklace to me, Thank You, I did not realize the car that needed to go into them!

7. Susan Broughton says

I didn’t realize that pearls were so delicate. There are so many things you have to watch to make sure you don’t hurt them,

8. Jennifer Mae Hiles says

Great information. I didn’t realize they were so porous or that you could use baby shampoo. Thanks for the helpful tips!

9. Stacey Roberson says

I definitely think it’s important to remove any bracelet or ring before applying lotion. Great, helpful tips here.

10. Sacha Schroeder says

This is very useful! I had no idea how to take care of them prior to reading this and didn’t do anything special. Although, I only have a pair of pearl earrings. Thanks for the information!

11. Sharon Siqueiros says

Thanks for posting these tips!! I’m a jewelry artisan and have restrung quite a few pearls in my time….it’s most important to remember not to soak the strands, I’ve seem many stretched out necklaces because of this and many people don’t realize that’s why it happened

12. MonaG says

Thanks for the practical info on caring for pearls. I was not aware of their porous nature or that baby shampoo is an effective cleaner.

13. ANN*H says

I never knew so much care was put in to caring for pearls. Nor did I know that perfumes and hair sprays etc. can be absorbed into the pearls. I dont own any real pearls but it is nice to know all these facts about them.

14. Kitty Iecvan says

Wow, I didn’t know pearls had to be handled so carefully! I’ll keep these tips in mind next time I wear them!