Mason jar salad is all the rage lately. It seems that every magazine you page through, or hip TV cooking show is featuring salads in mason jars. Why are they so popular? As it turns out, when you tightly layer the ingredients, and add them to the jar in a carefully considered order, salads in mason jars stay fresher, longer. Plus, they’re easily portable and stay cool. Sounds like a winning combination to any salad lover like me.
Spinach, Blueberry, and Blue Cheese Mason Jar Salad
Fruit and cheese go incredibly well together, and this mason jar salad is no exception. Blueberries and blue cheese are the stars of the show in this sweet and salty summer salad. The strength of their flavors elevates a simple spinach salad to something complex and biting — perfect for lunch or as part of a summer barbecue.
Fruit and cheese go incredibly well together, and this salad is no exception. Blueberries and blue cheese are the stars of the show in this sweet and salty summer salad
5 minPrep Time
5 minCook Time
10 minTotal Time
- 1⁄2 cup blueberries
- 3 cups spinach leaves, divided
- 1⁄4 cup shaved or sliced almonds
- 2 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- 3 tablespoons Red Wine Vinaigrette
- 1 quart-size Mason jar
- Dressing Recipe:
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon minced shallot
- pinch of salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Place the blueberries in the bottom of the Mason jar. Next make layers of 2 cups spinach, the almonds, and the remaining 1 cup spinach. The final layer should be the blue cheese.
- On top of the blue cheese, make a parchment paper cup and pour in the Red Wine Vinaigrette. Seal the jar and refrigerate until you’re ready to eat the salad.
- Whisk together the vinegar, shallot, salt, and pepper. Slowly add the olive oil, whisking, until the dressing thickens.
Doesn’t this mason jar salad look and sound amazing? Better yet, it’s so good for you! Spinach, blueberries, and almonds are full of antioxidants and vitamins for just about every part of your body.
This recipe is from the book Mason Jar Salads and More by Julia Mirabella. It’s a treasure trove of Mason Jar salad and other foods that you can make in advance and grab & go!