I admit it – I have a sweet tooth. Maybe a whole set of sweet teeth. I love cookies and candy and baked goods. One of my favorite flavor combinations though is sweet and salty. Salted caramel, fleur de sel, even s’mores have this flavor profile to some extent. And Chocolate Bacon Cupcakes definitely have this sweet salty thing.
Add in the smoky flavor of the bacon, and you’ve elevated this to a whole new level. It’s sort of that umami thing. Don’t be afraid though. These Chocolate Bacon Cupcakes are pretty easy to make, and they’re going to rock your world.
Chocolate Bacon Cupcakes with Chocolate Bacon Frosting
- 1 3/4 C Flour
- 2 C Sugar
- 1 C Cocoa
- 1 1/2 TSP Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 TSP Baking Powder
- 1 TSP Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 1 C Whole Milk
- 1/2 C Oil
- 2 TSP Vanilla
- 1 C Boiling Water
- 2 TBSP solidified bacon drippings
- 1 lb bacon
- Frosting Ingredients:
- 1 C unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 C cocoa powder
- 3 C powdered sugar
- 3/4 C heavy cream
- Fry the bacon. Set aside to cool, and save the drippings. Let them cool as well. Put the drippings in the fridge to speed up the process.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line your cupcake tin with papers.
- Combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, milk, oil, bacon drippings, and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and mix until well incorporated.
- Beat the mixture on medium speed for about 3 minutes.
- Slowly add the boiling water, mixing to combine.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until a knife or skewer comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Frosting Directions
- Beat the softened butter until smooth and creamy.
- Alternate adding cocoa and powdered sugar with adding heavy cream. Beat well until it's smooth and thick. If the frosting is too stiff, add more cream. If it's too loose, add a little more powdered sugar.
- Crumble 4 slices of cooked bacon into small pieces. Add this to the frosting, and stir really well to combine.
- Cut the remaining bacon strips into thirds and set aside.
- Put frosting into a bag that has a large star or round tip. Twist the open end to help push the frosting down.
- Frost the cupcakes.
- Place a 1/3 bacon strip into the center of each cupcake's frosting for garnish. And to let people know this is a Chocolate Bacon Cupcake, of course!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 855Total Fat: 48gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 130mgSodium: 1123mgCarbohydrates: 88gFiber: 3gSugar: 66gProtein: 20g