Are you ready to elevate your appetizer game with a burst of flavor? Look no further than this delectable Caramelized Onion Dip.
A great alternative to the classic French Onion dip, this version still has similar flavors as to not be too far off, but is something completely different.
Packed with the rich sweetness of caramelized onions and a hint of maple syrup, this dip is a perfect companion for vegetable crudités or crackers. Ready to make this recipe that will surely become a crowd-pleaser at your next gathering? Let’s get started.
Caramelized Onion Dip
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, ends removed and sliced root to tip ¼” thick
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons real maple syrup
- 4 ounces cream cheese (half a block)
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, finely chopped, divided
- Caramelizing the Onions
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and rosemary, season with salt and black pepper.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are golden-brown (approximately 25-30 minutes).
- Deglaze the skillet by adding apple cider vinegar, scraping up any brown bits.
- Drizzle maple syrup on top, stir to combine, and remove from heat. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Creating the Dip
- Transfer the caramelized onions to a mixing bowl.
- Add cream cheese, sour cream, and one tablespoon of fresh chives.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste, and stir to combine.
- Garnish and Serve
- Transfer the dip to a serving bowl and garnish with the remaining fresh chives.
- Serve immediately with an assortment of vegetable crudités and/or crackers.
Make It Ahead
This Caramelized Onion Dip can be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated until you’re ready to serve. The flavors often deepen and meld together after sitting for a few hours or overnight.
While this dip is fantastic with vegetable crudités and crackers, consider offering a variety of dippables such as pita chips, tortilla chips, or sliced baguette for a more diverse spread.
Customize the Consistency
Adjust the creaminess of the dip by experimenting with the amounts of cream cheese and sour cream. If you prefer a thicker dip, increase the cream cheese, or if you want it lighter, add more sour cream.
Play with Herbs
While rosemary adds a wonderful aromatic touch, feel free to experiment with other herbs such as thyme, oregano, or even a pinch of cayenne pepper for a subtle kick.
Get Creative with Toppings
Consider topping the dip with additional ingredients like shredded cheese, crispy bacon bits, or finely chopped nuts for added texture and flavor.
Make it Vegetarian
You can easily make this dip vegetarian by ensuring your cream cheese is free of rennet and using a plant-based sour cream.
Try serving the Caramelized Onion Dip in a hollowed-out bread bowl or a decorative serving dish. It’s not only delicious but a feast for the eyes.
There you have it – a tantalizing Caramelized Onion Dip that will impress even the most discerning taste buds. This dip is great for any occasion, too. Don’t be surprised if this dip becomes a staple at your gatherings – it’s just that good.