Eating healthier always seems to be at the top of everyone’s lists of things to do. One of the problems is that we decide to go all out, and get rid of anything that’s a temptation. While that’s a good idea in theory, in practicality, it makes us eat a box of cookies in a sitting. That’s definitely not good.
One of the better solutions is to make small, healthier changes. Substituting good fats for less healthy fats is a good place to start. Avocado has many health benefits, and is widely considered to be one of the healthier fats. Try substituting avocado for the oil or butter in your baked goods, like these Chocolate Avocado Cupcakes with Avocado Buttercream Frosting.
Chocolate Avocado Cupcakes with Avocado Buttercream Frosting
Links may be affiliate links.
There are a few items that make these chocolate avocado cupcakes easier to make. You’ll want a good set of mixing bowls. This 8 pc set from Pyrex has 4 great sizes with matching lids! You can’t beat that for less than $25. A KitchenAid stand mixer makes this job a real breeze, but that’s not always feasible, I know. A good alternative for a hand mixer is this KitchenAid one. Plus, it’s fairly budget friendly.
Chocolate Avocado Cupcakes
- Boxed chocolate cake mix and the ingredients it calls for minus oil
- 1/3 C. Ripe avocado, mashed (to replace the 1/3 C. oil)
Follow directions on box, omitting oil and replacing with an equal amount of mashed avocado. Reduce baking time by 5 minutes. Cupcakes are done when a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Avocado Buttercream Frosting
This frosting is a little more finicky than regular buttercream. You may need to add more powdered sugar or milk to get the consistency you like.
- 5 Cups powdered sugar
- 1 Stick of butter, softened
- 1 Ripe avocado, mashed
- 3 tbs milk
Using a stand or electric mixer, combine butter and avocado until combined and smooth. Slowly add powdered sugar, until the avocado buttercream frosting reaches a desired consistency. If it’s too stiff, slowly add milk, a little bit at a time.
Let your chocolate avocado cupcakes cool completely, then frost with the avocado buttercream.
Tell me – Will you be giving these Chocolate Avocado Cupcakes with Avocado Buttercream frosting a try?
For more St. Patrick’s Day and Irish ideas, visit a few of my favorite bloggers:
- Irish Dublin Coddle Recipe from Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Green Shamrock Gummy Candy by This Mama Loves
- Enjoy a Simple Irish Meal featuring Shepherd’s Pie by Day by Day in Our World
- Irish Skeleton Key Necklace by The Socialite’s Closet
- Mint Shower Scrub Bridal Party Favor by A Bride on a Budget
- Skinny Shamrock Shake by Jen Around the World
- Shamrock Smoothie Creation by 2Boys+1Girl=OneCrazyMom
- Mint Chocolate Fluff by Mom on the Side
- Leprechaun Hat Cupcakes by Kids Fun Reviewed
- St. Patrick’s Day Wreath – Dollar Store DIY by MommaDJane
- Lucky Rustic Wall Hanging: A Paint Stick Craft by Food Fun Family
- Green Tea & Peppermint Sea Salt Foot Scrub by Sincerely Mindy
- Matcha Pear Green Smoothie by Upstate Ramblings
- DIY Shamrock Tree by Simply Southern Mom
- Easy St. Patrick’s Day Brownies by Mom Does it All
- No Bake Mini Mint Oreo Cheesecake by Sugar Spice and Family Life
- Mini Banofee Pie by Beyond Mommying
- Green Smoothies for St. Patrick’s Day by Family Focus Blog
- Leprechaun Bark by sweet lil you
- Good Luck Vintage Cab Ring by Style on Main
- Send Them Out the Door Ready for a Good Day by Beautiful Touches