It’s that time of year. People are sending their high school and college kids off to school once again. Know what that means, right? A whole new shopping trip for dorm room essentials! I happened to live in a dorm when I was in high school, and one of the things that made each school year kick off on a positive note were the creature comforts from home. Now, I’m not saying I brought the quilt off my bed, because I didn’t. But having my very own things that were very much my style made it easier.
This list of dorm room essentials for her is a great starting point. When her dorm room is where everyone wants to hang out, it will make life easier. Not living in the dorm? These are great item for an apartment, too!
These chic dorm room essentials are all from Target. So, if they get ruined or worn out, it’s not a huge deal. Budget friendly and chic? We like that! Most of these dorm room essentials have an extra 10% off coupon, too. Links may be affiliate links.
16 Chic Dorm Room Essentials for Her
1. Ruffled Quilt Set ($80) – How cute is this? This quilt set comes with the quilt and a sham in XL Twin. Most dorm beds are XL Twin, in case you didn’t know.
2. Ameriwood Writing Desk ($100) – Super cute table/desk with a hidden drawer. It’s not so desk-y that it looks awkward. Many dorm rooms provide a desk, so you may not need this.
3. Braxton Chair ($85) – A great classic chair that goes well with everything. A lot of dorms provide a chair, so you may not need your own.
4. White Nightstand ($70) – Perfect for your alarm clock or phone, and keeping some of your junk gathered up and contained. Junk? I mean treasures, of course.
5. Tan Storage Ottoman ($100) – Two of the most valuable commodities in a dorm room are seating and storage. Get ’em both with this total dorm room essential.
6. Metal Sunburst Mirror ($30) – You need a mirror. it may as well double as artwork. This one adds a lot of character but is soooo pocketbook friendly.
7. Rizzy Home Laura Fair Floor Pillow ($33) – Can I just say that I want this for my own home? LOVE!! Inevitably, someone will end up sitting on the floor. Make them a little more comfy with this pillow.
8. Room Essentials Oversized Throw Pillow ($25) – Love the added texture that this pillow has, and yet, it’s so affordable.
9. Rizzy Home Printed Pillow ($23) – So cute, and the perfect size for some added lumbar support. Great for those long nights of reading and studying.
10. Room Essentials Microfleece Throw ($22) – Sometimes, your room’s going to be cold. A cozy throw is one of the must have dorm room essentials.
11. Room Essentials Cork Shade Lamp ($30) – Okay, how cool is this? I seriously love it, and think it may need to be in my house. An extra light is something that you’ll soon discover is another of the dorm room essentials.
12. Quartet Cork Bulletin Board ($15) – Your student is going to need a bulletin board. End of story!
13. Sterling & Noble Decorative Clock ($10) – It’s nice to have a clock that’s not digital, and not your phone. It classes up the joint a little!
14. Nate Berkus Desk Organizer ($12) – This is one of those dorm room essentials that is worth it’s weight in gold. Keep your desk organized, and you’ll be able to find stuff.
15. NuLoom Chevron Jute Rug ($160) – It’s sort of hit and miss if you can or should bring a rug to your dorm room. But if you can, this is a great one. It won’t show dirt that easily, and is super cute.
16. Copper Colored Aluminum Boxes with Wood Lids ($39) – Many times, you just need somewhere to keep your stuff. Gather up your chargers or pens or notebooks and keep them in these boxes. They’re a great size – not too big, not too small. And they’re so much better looking than a plastic storage bin.
These aren’t just dorm room essentials. They’re great pieces for an apartment or a teen’s bedroom. Heck, they’re even great pieces for an adult’s bedroom.