Latkes are one of the traditional foods served at Passover. Try a modern twist on latkes with Cod and Potato cakes with Horseradish Aioli.
Here at How Was Your Day?, we want to bring a fresh perspective to your Passover meals. We’ll be sharing several modern twists to traditional Passover dishes. These recipes are great for all times of year, too – not just the holy holidays.
Our non-traditional Passover recipes include the following:
- Cod and Potato Cakes with Horseradish Aioli
- Citrus Beet Salad with Walnut Brittle
- Wine and Honey Brisket
- Matzo Stuffed Cornish Game Hens
- Fig and Port Wine Blintzes
- Lemon Almond Cake
- Chocolate Hazelnut Rugelach
Cod and Potato cakes with Horseradish Aioli
- Yields: 8 portions
- Prep Time: 45mintes
- Cook Time: 30mintes
- 1 pound of cod, fresh
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, ground fresh
- 3 potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 3 quarts water
- 2 cups of mayonaise
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 quarts of canola oil (for frying)
- 2 cups potato starch
- 3 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup of almond milk
- 2 granny smith apples (julienned or shredded)
- 2 ounces of lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons parsley leaves
- 6 tablespoons of horseradish Aioli (see recipe below)
First bring a small pot of water to boil, blanch potatoes in the boiling water for 2 minutes. To stop the cooking the process, place the potatoes into an ice bath, then strain the potatoes and wring them out completely in a clean dry kitchen towel. Set aside.
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees, season fish with salt and pepper. Place fish on a small roasting pan, and roast approximately for 8 to 10 minutes. You want the fish to be a tad under done. Let the fish completely cool.
Place cooled cooked fish in a bowl and shred with your hands. Add the mayonnaise, and salt and pepper to taste and mix evenly. Form the fish mixture into eight 2 ounce portions. Shape portions into hockey puck shaped discs. Place fish cakes onto a parchment paper lined sheet pan and place in the freezer for 5 minutes.
Pre-heat a pot of canola oil to 350 degrees. In a bowl mix potato starch, egg yolks, and almond milk evenly until a thick paste forms. Dip the frozen cakes into the egg batter, coating evenly. Roll coated cakes into the potato shreds. Fry the cod and potato cakes in pre-heated oil until golden brown.
To plate: Toss apples in lemon juice. Place the Cod and Potato Cakes onto a plate with the dressed apples and horseradish aioli. Garnish with parsley leaves.
A great horseradish aioli sauce. Pairs well with meat or fish. Try it with some cod and potato cakes or on a burger.
5 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
15 minTotal Time
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoon lemon Juice (fresh Squeezed)
- 3 cups of olive oil
- 4 tablespoons of horseradish, fresh (peeled and shredded)
- kosher salt to taste
- Place garlic, egg yolks, and lemon juice into the food processor.
- On low speed, very slowly pour in the oil with a thin stream.
- Blend until mixture thickens and emulsifies.
- Your aioli should be nice and smooth. If the aioli is too thick, just add a couple of tablespoons of warm water.