Downtown apartments, though being valuable pieces of real estate, often consist of tiny rooms and small corridors. Of course, there are exceptions to the rule, but many people live in old apartments that are in dire need of refurbishment.
Does this sound like you? There are many things you can do to update your apartment to make it a fresh, stylish place to live. Depending on the undertaking, it is likely to be quite expensive, but the investment is worthwhile. Here are some great apartment decorating ideas.
Apartment Decorating Ideas
Good natural light is an essential element of the design. It is unlikely that you will be able to enlarge the windows, so you must make the most of them. Curtains tend to make them seem smaller than they are because they cover part of the glass. Instead, one of the great apartment decorating ideas is to take a look at the incredible range of window blinds on the market today. They take up little room when they are open and come in many attractive styles. Here are a few suggestions.
- Roller blinds are cheap and easy to install. They can be cut to fit a window recess with only a hacksaw and scissors. Because the range is vast, you will find a shade or pattern to match your decoration.
- Venetian blinds are as desirable today as they ever were. They bring a commercial feel to the room so are ideal for contemporary minimalist settings. They can accurately control the amount of light that you let into the place and allow you to create different moods. When they are open, they take up little space.
- Pleated blinds are a favourite in conservatories, but they look fabulous in any setting. I find that they look best with small pleats rather than large ones. They are not as versatile as venetian blinds but do an adequate job. I find these do well with more elegant apartment decorating ideas.
- Vertical blinds are a modern alternative. The slats can be opened, closed, angled, or draped. They are the perfect choice for a patio door leading onto a balcony.
Alterations to the electrical system will cost lots of money, but may be essential to the apartment decorating ideas. Try to avoid the use of a central ceiling light if possible. Modern apartment decorating ideas and lighting methods use LED bulbs under shelves and in alcoves to bring light and shade into the room. Because the modern wonders don’t get as hot as their outdated incandescent cousins, these bulbs can be utilized in lots more places than ever before. If you really wanted to change up the apartment decorating ideas, you might even consider installing a suspended ceiling that you can recess LED fittings into. Small down lights are an essential feature in most modern interior designs these days. The ceiling only needs to drop by about fifteen centimetres to accommodate small units, so you might not notice the change.
If you can use the same floor covering throughout the apartment, it will unite the rooms. The choice of material is yours, and climate in the area where you live might be a factor. You might live in a chilly place where you can use carpet to help bring a feeling of warmth to the rooms. Try to fit it so that there are no metal runners in the doorways. The best carpet fitters will advise you about that.
If you live in a hot place, you might want put floor tiles down. Tiles have come a long way, and the varying styles help with apartment decorating ideas. Choose wisely because they are a permanent fixture, and it is a tremendous undertaking to change them at a later date.
Laminate flooring is an ideal product for apartments. It is relatively inexpensive, easier than hardwoods, and simple to install as long as to follow a basic rule; you must remove the skirting board and replace it with new once the laminate is in place. The woodwork will hide the join where the product meets the walls. This look is featured in a lot of apartment decorating ideas.
The bathroom is often the smallest room in the apartment. It might not have a window either, which makes it feel oppressive and cramped. There are several ways you can make this room appear spacious, here are a few.
- Use a large mirror on one wall. It will give the impression that the room is twice as big as it really is.
- Replace the bathroom suite with a smaller one. There are many options available to you. Perhaps a smaller bath than the one in there now will not cause you any discomfort but will free up valuable space.
- Use wall-mounted vanity units and install LED lights below them. They make the floor seem less cluttered than before.
- Use a clear glass shower door instead of plastic curtains.
There are some incredible kitchen designs these days. Think about cabinet doors and drawer fronts that have no handles. The finish is important, too. Doors with a dark wood effect are not suitable in a tiny room, as it will make the room feel smaller. Think about using bright colours that come with a high-gloss finish. The reflective nature of the surface will bounce light around and add to the impression of space. Small spaces can handle a lot of color. As with the bathroom, your room might benefit from wall-mounted units instead of floor standing ones.
The decoration in your home is down to personal choice. There are a couple of apartment decorating ideas and principles to which you must adhere if you want to make the place feel spacious. First, use light colours wherever possible. Dark, sultry tones might create a romantic mood, but they give the impression of less space. Avoid intricate patterns on wallpaper too; they have a similar effect to dark tones. My tip is to paint three of the walls a neutral colour and make a feature out of the fourth. You might use mural wallpaper with a stunning picture, or just paint it another colour; the choice is yours.
When you have sorted out the interior design of your home, remember to keep it clutter free. Clutter is the enemy of space. You might want to consider some built ins or other apartment design ideas that help hide your possessions.
Do you have any great apartment decorating ideas? Sound off in the comments.