How to Make Glitter Glass Marble Magnets

Don't be shellfish...facebook How to Make Glitter Glass Marble Magnets106google How to Make Glitter Glass Marble Magnets1pinterest How to Make Glitter Glass Marble Magnets101reddit How to Make Glitter Glass Marble Magnets0stumbleupon How to Make Glitter Glass Marble Magnets51twitter How to Make Glitter Glass Marble Magnets0tumblr How to Make Glitter Glass Marble Magnetsemail How to Make Glitter Glass Marble Magnetsprint How to Make Glitter Glass Marble Magnets

Glitter is one of the things that I adore.  It’s kind of ridiculous, really.  I don’t want everything covered with glitter, I just like that extra sparkle and that lil sumtin-sumtin that it seems to provide.

glitter glass marbles finished 2 How to Make Glitter Glass Marble Magnets

These Glitter Glass Marble Magnets are the perfect thing to aid in my glitter fix.  As a bonus, they have a lot of flash, and are really quick and easy to make.

How to Make Glitter Marble Magnets

Supplies Needed:

glitter glass marbles supplies 575 x 431 How to Make Glitter Glass Marble Magnets

Flatback Glass Marbles.  I used both large and small ones, as I like the different looks each gives.  I bought mine at the dollar store.

Mod Podge or a similar adhesive.  Be sure it dries clear!

Glitter.  I’m using Martha Stewart brand glitter.

Sealer.  I like to use a spray sealer, but you can use another coat of mod podge, too.

Neodymium Magnets

E-6000 Adhesive

Glue Brush or foam painbrush

Extra paper

Directions to make Glitter Glass Marble Magnets:

1. Clean your glass marbles with warm, soapy water and dry really well.
2. Place paper down over your workspace.  You will want pieces that are about 8 ½ x 11 or so.

glitter glass marbles 575 x 432 How to Make Glitter Glass Marble Magnets
3. Apply Mod Podge to the back of the glass marbles

glitter glass marbles 1 575 x 431 How to Make Glitter Glass Marble Magnets
4. Sprinkle with glitter.  Let set for a few seconds.

glitter glass marbles silver 575 x 576 How to Make Glitter Glass Marble Magnets
5. Shake off the excess glitter.  You may want to tap the edge of your marble to get the excess glitter off.

glitter glass marbles green 575 x 576 How to Make Glitter Glass Marble Magnets
6. Set the marble aside to dry.  Return the excess glitter to the container.
7. The marbles will look milky, but don’t fret!  After the marbles dry, the glue will be clear.  Decide at that point if you want to add another layer of glitter.  If so, repeat steps 3-5.
8. After the marbles are significantly sparkly, and dry, seal the backs.  This will help keep the glitter from shedding all over everything.
9. After the sealant dries, attach a magnet using E-6000 adhesive.  I like Neodymium magnets, as they’re super strong and teeny tiny small.  You can also use a regular magnet.  I use E-6000 as it’s super strong, and will glue the metal of the magnet to glass with no issues.
10. Place on a magnetic surface and admire your handiwork!

glitter glass marbles finished 575 x 576 How to Make Glitter Glass Marble Magnets

Cost to Make: About $10 to get all the supplies.  Of course, the more items you already have, the lower the cost.

Time invested: 10 minutes or so, active time.  Approx 45 minutes for drying time.

Tips:

• Ultrafine glitter works better than chunky glitter.
  • Vivid shades look better than pale or pastel shades.
  • You can glue the marbles for 2 or 3 different colors of glitter at once.  Any more than that, and the glue starts to dry too much.

Tell me – Will you be making Glitter Glass Marble Magnets?

Comments

1. says

Ah, you had me at glitter, the beauty of this is that I have most of the supplies on hand already! I’m totally making these for my board and fridge! Thank you for sharing, I have magnets, but I’m definitely willing to try yours, where did you find them? LOVE GLITTER!

2. Sande Sivani says

Glitter is GOOD, lots of glitter is BETTER!! Those glitter marbles are gorgeous. Going to make some without the magnets and put them in a shallow clear glass bowl on my coffee table with some candles.

We would like to invite you to party with us at 5:00 on Thursday evenings at the new Blog Strut Peacock Style Link Party to share your very creative and clever idea. Come on over!! http://wp.me/P2Vf55-1K

We’d also like to invite you to Turn Old Into Awesome and win a fabulous prize package! The Whimsical Peacock and My Personal Accent are sponsoring the Dare to be Different, Up-cycling Challenge. Ends 8/12. See post for a complete list of challenge rules and prizes http://wp.me/p2Vf55-TQ

3. Mer says

Lovely! I do like adding a little extra glitz to my life…a small bowl filled with these in decor coordinating colors would be so pretty.

4. Julie Wood says

I would love to make these pretty Glitter Glass Marble Magnets! They are so sparkly and the colors are amazing. I think they are easy to make and not expensive!

5. Sandy VanHoey says

These turned out so cool…I love them and that is a pretty cheap price. Wouldn’t it look so pretty in like your planters or something like that?

6. Shani F. says

This project looks easy and a great one for my girls to do. They love glitter and would have fun making these!

7. Jesselyn Andersyn says

I will definitely be making some glittering magnets! I still really enjoy doing crafts like this and we always need more magnets. And I hate to admit it – but I still love anything that involves working with GLITTER! In fact I think I’ll do a little research on other glittery crafts and projects – it’s just so much fun to work with!

8. Georgia Beckman says

Thanks a million! I pinned this one. I think this would be a great craft to do with my grandchildren. They can make some for Nan Nan’s fridge & some to take home. And it’s the start of a new school year, so perfect timing!

9. says

I might make some of these as cute stocking stuffers. I would love to make some for myself, as I love cute magnets, but unfortunately I don’t have a magnetic fridge. :(

10. Robin Wilson says

I love this idea! The blinger the better! I have a ton of those glass marbles and they are just sitting in a bag in the garage. Now I have a use for them and will have some gifts for others! Thank you so much!

11. Lanie says

Cute idea and really simple! You can use these for so many things. I dont know why i never thought of that before. Thanks for sharing! :)

12. ANN*H says

These are really cute .They would be nice for on top of the soil in flower pots or as a decoration for on a table. It is nice that you can use what ever colors you need for a party table or what ever you want to use them. Easy to make too.

13. Trey LaParque says

Bling is never a bad thing! I have made these(&love em!), occasionally ill find one randomly, & still oohh&ahh, like a new treasure. To keep blunts clean, quick& w/ an accessible variety of colors, I use nail polish! Layer different colors, mix& match!