One of the great joys in our family is Parlor games. We like board games, card games, and trivia. At every family get together, we end up playing for hours on end. Sometimes I think it’s more to prevent us from fighting and arguing than to inspire family bonding, But hey, to each their own!
Here are some of our favorite parlor games.
1) Card games. We’re particularly fond of Gin Rummy and Crazy 8s, but can be convinced to play other games as well. Personally, I like to play Canasta, but it’s a little difficult to keep track of.
2) Bingo. This game is easy to play, no matter how many people you have at a gathering or their ages. For the really little ones, you probably want to match them up with an older team mate. You can even choose which kind of Bingo you’re playing!
3) Board Games. I adore Monopoly, but very few people want to play for seemingly days on end. We tend to stick to games like Life, Parcheesi, and even Backgammon.
4) Trivia Games. Trivia games are great for parlor games. Some of us are a bunch of smarty pants know it all showoffs and the rest of us think we’re smarter than we are. And then there are the truly special few of us – those that have a penchant for remembering the most useless of facts. I happen to fall into the 3rd category. Sometimes these battles are epic and legendary.
5) Charades and Pictionary. I don’t find either of these events particularly enjoyable. I am really really terrible at drawing. I almost always blurt out one of the words that I’m acting/drawing. And, perhaps best of all, I get frustrated really easily with the game. Someone *ahem* me *ahem* usually ends up crying. That was passable when I was a kid, but as an adult, it’s not such a good thing.
What kind of parlor games do you & your family play? We’re always looking for a new one to add into our mix.